Arsenal Buy Highbury On This Day, 16th August 1925

Home became home.

Arsenal had leased the playing field of St John’s College of Divinity from 1913, on a 21 year lease with the annual rental fee being £20,000 (£12m in 2012) which was a significant sum in any timespan. During this time, Arsenal spent £125,000 (£62m) on the ground before purchasing the ten-acre site outright for £64,000 (£21m) in 1925.

This extract is the official notification of the purchase in The London Gazette.

Advertisements